Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Car Window Screens...

Recently, I've been doing a lot of research about living in your car.
http://www.wikihow.com/Live-in-Your-Car offers some really good advice.
So does http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/drivers_ed/Motive_Culture_How_to_Live_In_Your_Car.shtml .

And, while I don't see living in my car as a long-term solution to habitation, I do wish to make my trip as comfortable as possible. In the spirit of resourcefulness I've constructed a few things that convert my car from an ordinary SUV into a make-shift camper:

- A bed that folds down fully when the front seat is folded forward
- curtains for the windows for maximum privacy
- and screens for the rear windows for minimal stuffiness at night.

I was actually surprised car window screens weren't something you could buy at Canadian Tire. I mean, who doesn't like a little breeze without filling their car with mosquitoes? But after doing a fairly lengthy search both online and at most big box stores, I realized that if I wanted a fresh breeze while I slept in my car, I would have to come up with something on my own.

How did I make them?

Materials
- adhesive strip magnets
- fiberglass screen
- thread
- needle
- pins


step 1
Roughly measure your windows and cut the screen about 3 inches wider on all sides.

Step 2
Cut the magnetic strip to length of both sides of window and pull the screen tight underneath

Step 3
Remove the adhesive backing and pull the screen over to stick on, ensuring that the screen fully covers the magnet with some extra (so you have room to sew it)

Step 4
Pin the screen around the magnet (the adhesive doesn't stay stuck)

Step 5
Cut the remaining magnet in half lengthwise and cut to size for top and bottom

Step 6
Repeat steps 3 and 4 on top and bottom

Step 7
Sew it all together and cut off excess screen

Now you are ready to enjoy a beautiful summer, sleeping in your car....






It may not win any car beauty contests, nor would I recommend driving with them on, but it will allow the breeze in, while keeping the bugs out... now all I have to worry about is bears....

1 Comments:

Blogger Rik said...

Just happened across your blog. Your reason for the journey is very similar to mine although it's taken me a few years longer to reach the conclusion you have.
Regarding your window screens.
I was considering something very similar to your screen assembly although I haven't found any strip magnets locally; I guess ordering online is the next option. I have some questions about your instructions, but I guess they will become clearer once I get the parts and start the assembly.
Glad to see the screen works for sleeping ventilation. Hope you were able to find what you were looking for.

Peace

rik

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home